Sunday 13 October 2013

Google invading Windows 8



Google has recently launched a new version of Google chrome for developers that has a new layout when you run Google Chrome in Windows 8 app mode.
This version basically has a Chrome OS layout, which you can say, it is a Chrome OS since this platform is build on top of a browser, running everything in the "cloud".

 When you are using this, you can have 80% of the user experience as a Chromebook user. You can feel what you can do with it, and pretty much a lot you can't. Personally, I am sure i cannot live with that thing, maybe only because I am not an intensive Chrome apps user. As you can see I don't have much apps installed. And when I am running this on a Windows tablet, it is a complete nightmare.


So now lets dive into this "OS". You have a toolbar that includes an app launcher, Chrome apps that you can pin on it, and a clock. That's it, everything you have.
There are a few limitations and differences between an actual Chrome OS. You cannot set a wallpaper in this layout, and you cannot make any change to the system. That's why you cannot find icons like wifi and other stuff that you could expect in a Chrome OS.


Multitasking was great with this "app". You can make use of the split screen function that Windows 8 provide, and the multi-screen inside the chrome app itself. This breaks through the limitation of having two tasks on screen at the same time. You can have multiple screens doing different work and an app sized big or small .





If you want to try this interface of google chrome app click "HERE" and click Dev channel for windows to download it. After you had download it, set it to your default browser and have fun.




9 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that Google is taking this route now. Because, when Chrome first came out, Google's stance was to make a fast and lightweight browser. Over the years, Chrome has been anything BUT lightweight. Seems like this is really going to go head to head to other free OSes like Ubuntu and Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the whole chromebook experience is really good for certain people, things like students, or business people who don't need apps to be installed, and are looking for something ultra-portable and fast. I would personally love to have a chromebook for school, as I have no need to have installed applications because they are all on my desktop. I am overall excited to see what kind of new hardware and features come out with chromeOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks alright. I personally don't care too much about all the functionality; I'll just continue using it as I always have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it but I'll continue using IE for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some I guess this is a great new feature. Personally, I don't think I've ever downloaded an app on chrome, I only use it to surf the web so I'm not that excited for this new version of chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that Chrome is one of the stronger browsers and if it becomes a easily available and a strong competitor in the current generation OS' then i might look deeper into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems pretty neat, but I don't think it will affect me too much. I usually use chrome because it seems more smooth to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a good idea, but I don't really use chrome for anything other than browsing. The new features, like multitasking and screen sizing seem cool, but I really don't see myself using this app.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's probably really cool for those who use apps on Chrome, but as I don't, I can't really give my opinion on this. It seems kind of useless to me and I'll likely just stick to what I've been doing before on Chrome, browsing.

    ReplyDelete